Navigating the Remodeling Maze
Planning a remodeling project is exciting! You’ve been thinking about the room or rooms you want to change, you’ve probably been binge watching some renovating shows, looking through home magazines or scrolling through Pinterest, and dreaming. But now it’s time for the nuts and bolts of the plan—choosing the right remodeler to make your dream a reality.
The Remodel-Design-Build Team at The Cleary Company in Columbus, Ohio is ready to create your vision and we want to help you hire the right company for you! The following eight steps should help guide your research to find the best company for your home remodel.
8 Step Guide
- Define your project: It’s important to start by clearly defining your project. The scope of the work, your goals, budget, timeline, and any specific requirements and preferences are the first steps to think about. Knowing these allows you to articulate your thoughts and ideas to potential remodeling companies.
- Ask for recommendations: Many times, asking friends, neighbors, or colleagues for company recommendations is an effective way to start your search. Who better than those that have been through a project to give you their thoughts? Checking the company websites for reviews is a good unbiased referral as well. From these recommendations, create your shortlist.
- Do your research: With your recommended companies in mind, visit their websites, and explore their project profiles, photo galleries, and testimonials. When looking at their websites, find those that fit with your project idea and have a successful company. Another useful resource is the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI). A NARI professional remodeling contractor is bound to a code of ethics that holds them to a higher standard of professionalism, integrity and excellence.
- Check licenses and insurance: We’ve all heard horror stories of companies starting work and not finishing or taking the money and not doing the work. A reputable company is properly licensed and insured and can be verified by local authorities. Licensing does vary by state, so ensure they have the correct licenses and certifications.
- Schedule a consultation: Now take your shortlist and schedule appointments. During the meeting, discuss your intended project’s details, ask questions, and pay attention to their communication skills, expertise, and professionalism. Who are you most comfortable with having in your home? Ask to tour their job sites, office, showroom or design center.
- Request references: A remodeling company should have references readily available from their past clients for you to contact. Call them and ask questions about their experiences, the quality of the work, how issues were handled, and how communication was between the client and the company.
- Develop a project proposal: Choose the company you feel is the best match for your family and project. Enter into a Design Agreement or request a written proposal or quote that includes the general project scope options, timeline of the project, and estimated costs.
- Sign the contract: After finishing the project development process request a contract that includes a detailed proposal with drawings, a scope of work, materials to be installed, project price and payment terms.
Want to learn more? Read our blog post “Ready for a Home Remodel in 2023“.
Need some inspiration? Visit our Portfolio!
Let’s Get Started!
Following these steps will bring you to the right remodeling company for your project. It’s also your responsibility to communicate openly, set realistic expectations, and relay them clearly.
The Cleary Company’s Remodel-Design-Build Team in Columbus, OH, would like the opportunity to collaborate with you by engaging in these conversations. Our Design Studio is available by appointment. Contact our Client Relations Coordinator who will answer all your questions, and explain our process. Call today 614-459-4000 or visit our website!