Staying on Top of Your Home’s Maintenance can Prevent Future Expensive Repairs.
Your home is likely your largest asset and you probably plan on spending many years living there. So then, why not protect your investment? Over the past 27 years, The Cleary Company Remodel Design Build in Columbus Ohio has seen many great homes with hidden damage that could’ve been prevented with proper home maintenance.
Home maintenance is one of those things that’s easy to forget or put off because many tasks only need to be done once in a while or a few times a year. Water damage is the no. 1 culprit that weakens your home’s foundation, the very core that holds your house together. Before you forget, review the following checklist of recommended home maintenance items you should complete in April & May to protect your home and keep your family safe.
- Wash windows – Winter weather can wreak havoc on the exterior of your home. Washing the windows will rid your home of some exterior grime but you may also uncover minor or major damage from snow & ice. We recommend the squeegee method shown in this video. Make sure water is not getting inside your home. Replace any damaged caulking or flashing immediately.
- Clean gutters & downspouts – You want any spring showers to not penetrate your home. Keeping your gutters and downspouts clear of any debris will move any falling water away from your home. HouseLogic.com has many helpful DIY home maintenance tips as well as step-by-step instructions for cleaning your gutters. Again while cleaning the gutters and downspouts inspect for any damage and promptly make repairs as needed.
- Check basement walls & exterior siding for any cracks or leaks – Water is no friend to wood, stucco, concrete, etc. and keeping your home’s foundation dry is important in maintaining your home’s integrity. Watch this video to see what damage can occur when cracks are ignored.
- Pressure wash your deck – Removing any mold or moss will help with extending your deck’s longevity and also keep your family and guests safe. After washing is completed inspect your deck for stains, hazards or water damage and make repairs as needed.
- Inspect clothes dryer vents – Check the exterior vent outlet for blockages due to lint or other debris and remove. Here’s a handy tutorial from wikiHow!
- Check smoke & CO2 detectors & fire extinguishers – According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), smoke detectors should be tested at least once a month and batteries should be replaced at least twice a year. If you have hardwired detectors it is recommended they be upgraded after 10 years. Most fire extinguishers last between five and 15 years, according to manufacturers. Check the tag on your extinguisher for dates and manufacturer’s instructions. A fire extinguisher with a gauge should be checked every month to make sure it is properly charged.
If you, a neighbor or family member needs financial assistance maintaining a home, Modcon Living’s Safe at Home program can help! The program offers quality emergency repairs and home modifications to homeowners, with priority to seniors and physically disabled with limited income, to live in safe and healthy homes. Services are provided by dedicated volunteers, professional contractors, and staff at no cost to qualified homeowners.