Why Homeowners Should Buy Plumbing Fixtures from Their Contractor or Plumber
Finding a great deal on plumbing fixtures can seem like a terrific way to save money on a remodeling project. Although there are some materials our clients can purchase and supply for their projects, plumbing is not one of them. Occasionally, we will get asked “Can I purchased my own plumbing fixtures? I found a great deal online!” Our answer is always, “Sorry, no you cannot.” Sound harsh or inflexible? Maybe, but consider these scenarios:
- What if items arrive defective or damaged?
- What if the specifications don’t work with the beautiful countertop and vanity you selected?
- What will you do if the items can’t be exchanged or returned?
- How will this affect your project’s completion date?
- What will happen if the product is discontinued before the warranty is up?
Our Team, as well as, our professional plumbing trade partners are equipped to handle these scenarios and more when we purchase and supply plumbing fixtures for our clients. More importantly, our professional plumbing trades, nor The Cleary Company CANNOT warranty any installation of plumbing products or materials purchased from superstores, discount warehouses and/or online retailers.
So why are retail and sale prices at plumbing supply distributors higher than the superstores (Home Depot, Lowe’s etc.) and online retailers (Amazon, Overstock, etc.)? Below are a few of the reasons, provided as a courtesy, so that you can make the best decision for your home improvement project.
- Volume. Superstores and online retailers derive a portion of their profits from manufacturers’ rebates based on sales volume and can recover a portion of their discounted consumer prices. They however assume no liability and carry only the manufacturer’s warranty. What this means to the homeowner is if you experience a problem with your purchase you will deal directly with the manufacturer via email or phone to resolve any issues.
- Customer service! Our relationships with local reps can get most issues resolved quickly and efficiently and in some cases, get product replaced at no additional cost to our clients. Note, when purchasing products on Amazon remember you’re not necessarily buying it FROM Amazon. Who do you contact for help then?
- Quality. There is a difference! Products and materials purchased from plumbing supply distributors are made with original ceramic disc valves, all brass construction, threaded connections, metallic drain assemblies, etc. Those same fixtures at a big box retailer are going to be DIY friendly with quick connections, which could include plastic parts.
There may be some materials and products that you can purchase for your project, such as, light fixtures, bathroom accessories and some appliances. But, before you run out to the store, make sure you have all the specifications and measurements in hand for your space. While that large chandelier may look beautiful in the store, it may not work in your home. Doors will still need to open and it will need to provide clearance for those walking underneath it. These are just a few of the many things you will need to consider when you are making your purchases and providing your own materials. When our experienced Design Team specifies and orders products for your home remodel, we can ensure all your selections meet the requirements for the entire project.
Our professional relationships with our suppliers and manufacturers’ reps gives our Team access to the most current information, trends, models, etc. Give Our Team a call to Get Started on your next home remodeling project!