A hot topic with our Team at The Cleary Company is energy use at the office. We frequently ask ourselves ~
- What can we do to be more energy efficient?
- How can we save energy and lower our utility costs?
- What changes can we make to create a cleaner Earth? (both in the office & in our client’s homes!)
There are many things you can do at home to save energy and harness energy from the sun. While some of these can be more costly than others, just thinking about them, could lead you to making small changes now. Here’s what we’re doing now and upgrades we’re planning for the future!
Changes You Can Make to Use Less Electricity in Your Home
Motion Sensor Lights – using right now – visit our office to see how they work!
It’s a simple switch! When the sensor detects motion the light comes on and if no movement is detected after a predetermined time the light shuts off. Motion sensor lights are compatible for home & commercial spaces.
- They can be installed on interior & exterior surfaces — walls, doorways, ceilings and entrances.
- Use them for safety or convenience. Lights turn on as you enter a room. Basements, attics and closets are popular uses at home.
- User friendly and has many benefits when incorporating Universal Design into your remodeling project.
Our Team feels safer when working late at the office with the majority of our lights having motion sensors.
Solar panels – coming soon!
Drive through a neighborhood almost anywhere in central Ohio and look up at the roofs. We guarantee on some house or building, you’ll see solar panels installed. In Ohio, with the number of gray days we have you’d think having solar panels wouldn’t be a great idea. Guess what? They are! Prices for the installation of solar panels have dropped over the last 10 years and now might be the time to install them on your home.
- You will still have a utility bill, but you may have credits for months that the panels generate more power than you use.
- Solar energy is cheaper, cleaner than standard power-grid based electricity and is “green”. Harnessing the power of the sun is beneficial to the health of the Earth.
- Read more information here: https://www.solarreviews.com/solar-panels/ohio
Energy-efficient appliances – using right now – visit our office to see how they work!
Investing in energy-efficient appliances has a positive impact on our environment and your bank account. Advancements in energy-efficient appliances have made it possible to reduce the amount of energy needed to get the same work done. Benefits include:
- Using less water while in use.
- Smaller energy load needed.
- Wash your clothes using cold water.
- Refrigerators create less heat and better insulation helps food stay colder and fresher.
- Heating elements in dishwashers to heat the water uses less hot water. AND contrary to what you might think, running your dishwasher uses less water than hand washing.
LED lightbulbs – using right now – visit our office to see how they work!
According to the US Department of Energy, 10 percent of your home’s electric bill is from using lights.
- Changing to LED lightbulbs, while more expensive at the beginning, usually offsets the cost of your bill over time. Not only that, but you’ll also go through lightbulbs less frequently, meaning fewer lightbulbs in the landfill.
- Add Smart devices to your existing lighting – you’ll save even more in cost and energy. Read more about Smart Technology on our blog!
Buying a New Car? Consider Going Electric!
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations – just installed!
With more electric car models now available, we’re seeing more and more of them on the road. This got us thinking—will we have clients and guests visit our office driving electric cars? Will some of our Team members start driving electric cars? Will our next company van be electric? And as we pondered these questions, we concluded that having an electric car charging station at the office is a great business investment.
The value we see in EV charging stations is:
- Help the environment
- Provide a needed service to local EV charging options
- Make it easy for our Team to drive electric cars
- Convenience to our clients who drive an EV
- Attract new customers
- Prepare for the future during your next remodel!
Did you know there’s an online directory for finding EV charging stations? PlugShare!
Ready to discuss your remodel?
Our Team is ready to discuss and collaborate with you to decide what energy-saving options you can incorporate into your home remodeling project. We’re here to help!
And we are using, or have plans to use all these here at our office. We are hoping to install an electric car charger that can be used by our clients or any of our Team. We have discussed getting solar panels and are “electrified” about the possibility! We are already using energy-saving appliances, as well as LED lightbulbs and motion sensor lights.
Our Team can show you how to use efficiently power your home. Contact our Client Relations Coordinator today to schedule a conversation.