Do late summer temperatures have you cooling off indoors? You may want to take this opportunity to tackle removing the dust & allergens from your home’s appliances. Hot & humid summer weather in Columbus, Ohio has a tendency to fill homes with a lot of dirt, dust & debris.
Planning & sticking to a seasonal maintenance plan will ensure your home is in tip-top shape. Don’t fret, you’ll still have plenty of time to enjoy the sunshine!
Our Remodel-Design-Build Production Team at The Cleary Company has put together a maintenance checklist to get you started.
Air Conditioner Maintenance
- Replace filter – It’s important to replace the air filter on your central heating/cooling system regularly (preferably, every one to three months) to keep it operating efficiently. This task will also improve the air quality in your home. These filters are designed to collect dust, spores, hair, dander, and other particles from the air that is exchanged through the system. It will also save you money on your energy bill!
- Check drain pan & lines – To prevent a system shutdown and condensation leaks around your air conditioner, take some time to inspect the drain pan and condensate drain line. Like water droplets that form on a cold drink in summer when warm air passes over extremely cold evaporator coils, condensation forms and drips into a drain pan below. Unfortunately, sometimes condensate drain pans and lines can get damaged or clogged and cause quite a mess. If you detect an issue contact your HVAC professional!
Bathroom & Kitchen Maintenance
- Clean exhaust vent – Your bathroom is probably your home’s most used room and you probably clean it weekly but probably never think about the exhaust fan. They are typically hidden in the ceiling and easy to forget, but don’t! A fan covered in dust doesn’t work efficiently. More importantly, dust build-up can eventually lead to mold, mildew and in extreme cases a house fire! Check out FamilyHandyman.com for this and other step-by-step projects.
- Degrease range hood – Over time, the filter & fan underneath your range hood (or if microwave is overtop there’s also a filter & fan) collects grease and if it’s doing its job correctly it’s going to get icky. If it becomes blocked it will lose its effectiveness which is why this unpleasant task needs regular attention.
- What You Need – very hot or boiling water, degreasing dish soap (Dawn works very well), baking soda, non-abrasive scrub brush, paper towels or dishcloth
- Vacuum refrigerator coils – The location of your appliances coils with either be at the bottom or behind. Remove the “toe kick” plate if located below, or if behind pull forward until able to reach. Using the crevice upholstery tool on your shop vac remove all visible dirt & dust on, above and below the coils. Don’t forget the floors under & behind! This is also a good time to do a deep clean of the interior. Check out this detailed video showing step-by-step instructions!
- Clean garbage disposal & dishwasher – Summer’s heat & humidity increases bacteria production, especially in the dark, damp conditions in your garbage disposal. Over-the-counter disposal cleaners work well to disinfect and remove any clogs. This is also a good time to clean out your cabinet under the sink and check for any bug or rodent activity.
Now you’re ready for some summer fun! Need help with any of these tasks? Contact us today for trusted handyman referrals!
If you, a neighbor or family member needs financial assistance maintaining a home, Modcon Living’s Safe at Home program can help! The program offers quality emergency repairs and home modifications to homeowners, with priority to seniors and physically disabled who have limited income, to live in safe and healthy homes. Services are provided by dedicated volunteers, professional contractors, and staff at no cost to qualified homeowners.